History

The congregation at Belper was founded in 1689. Jedediah Strutt, the local mill owner, had the original chapel built in 1788. The Chapel remains today very much as it was when it was built. Underneath the tiered box-pews there is an arched catacomb where members of the Strutt family are interred. There is much civic pride in our historic chapel.




A summary of the history up to 1993 can be found in this 1994 document produced by the chapel itself.

A detailed history is to be found here.

There is an interesting slideshow about the chapel, here.